• Comprehensive testing allows us to determine the underlying cause that may be interfering with the natural development of skills. It's not enough to look at percentile ranks or standard scores, or give a label; we interpret results and look for patterns, teasing apart the subtle differences that may be preventing progress.
• Our goal is to close the gap and support your child in reaching his fullest potential. Understanding why s/he is struggling allows us to select treatment methods or programs that strengthen the child's neuro-network and processing pathways.
• We can administer a full battery of tests, augment previous tests conducted by another center or your school, and help families interpret results that may appear inconclusive. We are often recommended to as a second opinion.
• Differential diagnosis is having the expertise to interpret tests results, observe behaviors across environments, collect developmental history, and determine why a child is struggling. We are very sensitive to labels or 'quick solutions.' Symptoms often overlap and behaviors can mask the true underlying weakness.
We are available to consult with families concerned with their child's development in the areas of:
• Attention / AD(H)D
•Specific Language Impairment
•Reading / Writing Problems
•Working Memory Deficits
•Executive Function Disorder
•Language-Based Learning Issues
•Apraxia / Dyspraxic
Individual therapy is based on individual needs. We are able to address mild to severe problems. In some cases, a child needs help with a few specific sounds (articulation), while others present with a general developmental delay often caused by slower processing, this may effect a number of areas (attention, understanding spoken language, verbal expression, social skill development, and academics).
Intervention programs are selected based on research and outcome studies. Currently there are many programs on the market, however that does not mean all are created equal. Our practice only uses those programs with neuroscience design and strong efficacy. Please review current programs offered at Hyer Learning.
Programs are selected based on your child's individual needs. We can determine short and long-term goals, discuss how some pre-training may be needed before starting a specific program, and how some programs compliment one another. Our extensive training and clinical experience allows us to meet a variety of needs.
Ms. Hyer is available to present and train groups in the areas of:
• Early speech-language development
• Pre-literacy skills (phonological awareness)
• Speech-language-literacy connection
• Language-Based Learning Challenges
• Oral Language and Written Language Relationship
• Social Skills and Higher-Language Processing